Breathtaking landscapes across the Andes mountains!
FERNANDO’S WORD OVER THIS TOUR
For the hike and trek enthusiasts, this challenging tour is the perfect opportunity to discover the most breathtaking landscapes and trails across emblematic natural reserves in the Ecuadorian Andes, spanning 11 days. The expedition will take you across the Quilotoa Lake, Cotopaxi, Antisana & Chimborazo reserves, making it an adventure par excellence.
“Highland expedition 2” may actually be the first stage of this adventure, which takes place in the imposing Cotopaxi Volcano and the pristine Antisana Reserve. Also referred to as the “Condor Trek”, the program entails a crossing from the Antisana volcano to the Cotopaxi.
Although challenging, this fascinating adventure is highly rewarding and provides an opportunity to connect with nature -by staying in refuges, hotels, or camping- in completely-isolated places, while enjoying the omnipresent view of the highest active volcano in the world, the Cotopaxi.
You have the option to start with either the first or second part of this integral adventure across the Andes, or you may choose to do only one of them. Regardless of your decision, both the Highlands expedition 1 & 2 are truly magnificent!
Culture and Visits
Nature and Activities
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Quito > Antisana: Condor Trek (day 1)||Antisana: Condor Trek (day 2)||Cotopaxi: Condor Trek (day 3)|
|Day 4||Day 5|
|Cotopaxi: Condor Trek (day 4)||Cotopaxi National Park > Quito|
Tour highlights :
– Completely private tour in Ecuador, in the Andes, with your English-speaking guide.– 5 days of discovery -in an exceptional natural atmosphere-.– The Cotopaxi & Antisana Volcanoes discovery– A challenging yet rewarding Condor Trek – Exceptional discovery of two protected reserves.
Explore in more detail :
– The rate decreases as the group size increases proportionally. The estimated price, on a base of two people, of this adventure across the highlands is from $1158 to $—. The final cost of this trip depends on the way we personalize it specially for you. The exact price will be provided in your personalized quote when you BOOK THIS TRIP.
Hike times are approximate and indicate the maximum time for the trekking day.
Day 1 : Quito > Antisana: Condor Trek (day 1)
Either from the Quito’s airport or downtown you will leave for the Papallacta village where you will start your adventure
from 3h30 to 2h30
Day 2 : Antisana: Condor Trek (day 2)
The second day will be the hardest, be prepared for a long trek-day. You will reach 13840 ft altitude. The first part will be only ascent (the hardest) then the second part is milder and flatter.
from 4h00 to 5h00
Day 3 : Cotopaxi: Condor Trek (day 3)
You will observe the famous Antisana volcano (18201 ft). You will walk through the Andean “páramo” made of short vegetation and sometimes tall dry grass of a superb straw yellow.
Day 4 : Cotopaxi: Condor Trek (day 4)
This day you will reach the sublime Sincholahua Volcano, then you will descent to the Cotopaxi National Park where the highest active volcano in the world is located.
Day 5 : Cotopaxi National Park > Quito
This Day you will discover the fantastic Cotopaxi National Park, and surroundings. Then you will be transferred to Quito city/airport.
– Tents, camping equipment, & muleteer in addition to your guide.
– National-licensed guides as indicated in the guidance part.
– Meals (4 breakfasts / 5 Lunches / 4 Dinners).
– Entrances to sites, museums and national parks specified in the program.
– Licenses (ITK travel agency and our guides and drivers).
Rate Doesn’t include
– International flights
– Individual equipment except for camping equipment.
– Transfer Quito > Papallacta (Day 1) & Cotopaxi > Quito (Day 5)
– Visits indicated as “Optional” or “at an additional cost.
– Drinks in bars, hotels, restaurants or villages.
– Not indicated meals
Comfort » category : charming and comfortable accommodation 2/3*** category. Clean and offering an adapted-to-European and American customer service.
Superior » category : charming accommodation 3/4**** category. Top of the range quality infrastructure and personalized service. Spacious and tasteful rooms.
=> the “luxury” (4/5 *) options are also available on request.
– Andes: private transport with a Spanish-speaking driver + a bilingual Spanish / English private local guide (vehicle type 4 × 2, space or bus depending on the size of the group). For a group of 2 or 3 people, your guide will also be your driver.
– Condor Trek (Days 1, 2, 3 and 4): Muleteers and mules during the trek in addition to the English-speaking guide.
– Physical: this trekking tour requires good physical condition. There will be fairly long walks (up to 6 hours). We recommend that travelers wishing to take part in this trekking trip take a stress test before their arrival. This will limit the risks during physical exertion at altitudes around 4000m (in particular preventing coronary and vascular problems).
– Technical: no technical level is necessary. You will not have climbing or ice climbing. We recommend trekking poles and good walking shoes.
-1 or 2 light walking trousers
-1 or 2 warm walking trousers
-2 Fleece jackets
-1 breathable warm jacket(type softshell)
-1 waterproof jacket (type gore-tex)
– light t-shirts
– hike shoes
– casual shoes
-1 pair of gloves for high altitude walks
-1 warm hat for high altitude walks
-1 water bottle – sunglasses
– solar cream
– hiking bag (between 25 to 45L)
– hike sticks
– duvet between 0C et -15C (when nights in a refuge or tent are planned)
– headlamp (for nights in a tent or in a refuge)
– Transfers and visits times are indicative.
– During the treks, you will spend the nights in a tent. The nights in a tent will be simpler.
– Foresee between $ 5 and $ 30 per meal not included, per person.
– Tips: we recommend between $ 10 and $ 20 per worked day for a guide, and between $ 5 and $ 10 per worked day for a driver.