From the stunning Quilotoa to the imposing Chimborazo volcano
ANTOINE’S WORD OVER THIS TREK
This is actually the first part of the hiking & trekking program. Across magnificent landscapes you will experience the Andes elevation and unevenness.
This trekking trip will take you, in 6 days, to the heights of Ecuador. Trekking in the Andes, accompanied by your English-speaking guide and always surrounded by impressive volcanoes as the Chimborazo (6300m), you will cross magnificent and exotic Andean landscapes.
We particularly like the Vicuñas Trek even if the trekking between Quilotoa lagoon and Isinliví also offers superb landscapes. You will walk to the sound of the forest on a somewhat difficult route. You will spend a night in a very pleasant lodge to rest before the upcoming “deadlines”. This is an adventure break for travelers seeking peace and natural spaces during a trek trip in South America.
Culture and Visits
Nature and Activities
Tour highlights :
– Completely private trekking tour in Ecuador, in the Andes, with your English-speaking guide.
– 6 days of trekking in South America -in exceptional natural sites-.
– Vicuña trek around the Chimborazo volcano (6300m).
– 2 days of trek in the Toachi canyon.
Indicative route :
Quito > Zumbahua (Indigenous Market) > Quilotoa Loop (Day 1)
Quilotoa Loop (Day 2) > Riobamba
Riobamba > Vicuñas Trek (Day 1: First sight of the Volcano)
Vicuñas Trek(Day 2: You will pass to the other side of Chimborazo)
Vicuñas Trek(Day 3: The hardest but most beautiful day)
Vicuñas Trek (Day 4: Descend) > Quito
Explore in more detail :
Hike times are approximate and indicate the maximum time for the trekking day.
Day 1 : Quito > Zumbahua (Market) > Quilotoa Loop (Day 1)
After an early departure you will head southbound to one of the most authentic indigenous markets in Ecuador. The you will start your trek-adventure from the Quilotoa Lake to the Chugchilán Village.
from 3h30 to 4h30
Day 2 : Quilotoa Loop (Day 2)
This morning you will discover the isolated Isinliví village. Passing by the fantastic Toachi canyon you will get to this quiet and still place, lost in time!
from 4h00 to 5h00
Day 3 : Vicuñas Trek-day 1
First day of the most spectacular trek you will take part in during your trekking holiday in Ecuador. This trek will take you around the colossus of Ecuador, the Chimborazo (6,310m).
Day 4 : Vicuñas Trek-day 2
You will continue your vicuñas trek passing to the other side of Chimborazo in the drier part. You will see your first vicuñas. You will sleep in a simple refuge or a tent during this night.
Day 5 : Vicuñas Trek-day 3
You will continue your magnificent vicuñas trek. This day will be the hardest but also the most beautiful. You will be in a high desert plateau surrounded by vicuñas. You will arrive at the Hermanos Carrel refuge where you will spend the night at an altitude of 4,800 m.
Day 6 : Vicuñas Trek-day 4 > Quito
You will end your trek with an easier day. Then you will be transferred to your charming hotel in Quito to enjoy a deserved rest.
– Andes (from day 1 to 6): private transport with a Spanish-speaking driver + a bilingual Spanish / English private local guide (vehicle type 4 × 2, space or bus depending on the size of the group). For a group of 2 or 3 people, your guide will also be your driver.
– Vicuñas Trek(Days 3, 4, 5 and 6): Muleteers and mules during the trek in addition to the English-speaking guide.
– Toachi trek (Days 1 and 2): For groups of 4 people or more, your English-speaking guide will accompany you during this trek. For 2 and 3 groups, a Spanish-speaking guide will show you the way while your guide brings your belongings to the hostel.
– Transfer : the transfer on day 6 will be carried out by a private Spanish-speaking driver.
– Physical: this trekking tour requires good physical condition. There will be fairly long walks (up to 8 hours). We recommend that travelers wishing to take part in this trekking trip take a stress test before their arrival. This will limit the risks during physical exertion at altitudes around 4000m (in particular preventing coronary and vascular problems).
– Technical: no technical level is necessary. You will not have climbing or ice climbing. We recommend trekking poles and good walking shoes.
-1 or 2 light walking trousers
-1 or 2 warm walking trousers
-2 Fleece jackets
-1 breathable warm jacket(type softshell)
-1 waterproof jacket (type gore-tex)
– light t-shirts
– hike shoes
– casual shoes
-1 pair of gloves for high altitude walks
-1 warm hat for high altitude walks
-1 water bottle – sunglasses
– solar cream
– hiking bag (between 25 to 45L)
– hike sticks
– duvet between 0C et -15C (when nights in a refuge or tent are planned)
– headlamp (for nights in a tent or in a refuge)
“Comfort” option: comfortable charming accommodation, 2/3 *** type, offering a service adapted to European and American customers and beautiful rooms. The nights in a tent will be simpler.
During the treks, you will be in a tent, refuge, or hostel -for the Toachi trek-.
=> the “superior” (3/4 *) and “luxury” (4/5 *) options are also available on request.
– Transfers and visits times are indicative.
– Foresee between $ 5 and $ 30 per meal not included, per person.
– Tips: we recommend between $ 10 and $ 20 per worked day for a guide, and between $ 5 and $ 10 per worked day for a driver.